Sunday 16 September 2012

Nevin Spence


Corinthians 5:6-8: So we are always of good courage. We know that while we are at home in the body we are away from the Lord, for we walk by faith, not by sight. Yes, we are of good courage, and we would rather be away from the body and at home with the Lord.

I wish I had faith, a quality Nevin Spence had in abundance. His unwavering belief in a higher being was something I respected a great deal, contrary to what our constant bickering may have suggested. 

Nevin had an answer for every argument I threw at him, annoyingly I couldn't provide a response for the majority. When I spoke of what I deemed to be his blind faith he replied "Who said it's blind? God is as real to me as anything else", I've never wished to be wrong so much. 

In a society were people are judged and criticized at the drop of a hat, Nevin was one of the exceptions. I can't recall him ever saying or doing anything intended to hurt the slightest of feelings, he was without a doubt the most upstanding person I've had the pleasure of knowing. I can only dream of being half the man he was, a true gent. 

He joked last week that our debate on religion would be settled by the second coming or death, I never considered he'd have his answer within days. I hope with every fibre of my being I'm wrong and he's looking down as I write, safe at home.

I'll miss you mucker, take care.


Memories and stories you may have of Nevin would be well received in the comments section, RIP.  

1 comment:

  1. This is a beautiful tribute. Nevin came to my gym quite regularly and he was a great inspiration and Christian witness.

    Speaking from a Christian perspective I'm reminded of James 4:14 - Our lives are but "a vapour, that appear for a little time and then vanish". In the context of eternity, I think what is most important is how Nevin lived his life in the little time he had, rather than how long he lived it for - and I don't think he could have done better.

    ReplyDelete